Friday, September 4, 2009

Mad at Wal-Mart



I am one of those people who grew up on Wal-Mart. There was one not too far from where we lived. I was a Wal-Mart kid. I didn't know of any other store, besides the mall, until I was in middle school. And that was OK with me. My grandma would take me and Josie to Wal-Mart to pick out craft supplies. At least 2 times a week we were in the big blue store.

My other grandma lived in a small town. And when we would go visit her, we would go shopping at TG&Y. Another favorite place. They had piles of fabric that grandma would let us pick from. We could easily spend the entire day picking fabrics and patterns. Then we would go to her house. And she would make us clothes. Then in the early 90s. It closed. Because Wal-Mart had moved into their small town. It wasn't the same. But what could you do?

I noticed in the mid 90s, so many local shops were closing. Wal-Mart just started to take over the city. There was one every couple of miles. And those small stores that had once carried fun craft supplies, they were closing. Like Old America, TG&Y, etc. But we were OK. Wal-Mart was carrying lots of craft supplies. And for a lot cheapier!

Until about 2 years ago. Wal-Mart started to slowly close the craft departments. I thought it was strange when a Wal-Mart opened up down the road from my parents' house. And then months later, it began remodeling. What were they doing? Getting rid of the craft department! I don't know exactly how many Wal-Marts we have in town. But it is somewhere in the double digits. Today, we have 1 that has a craft department. And it is barely staying open! We have 3 small towns that are within 20 miles, all of their craft departments are now closed too!

Does Wal-Mart not realize that many people, go to their store to do 1 stop shopping? Without the craft department, what is the point? There is an Albertson's closer to our house than Wal-Mart. You can get pretty much everything you need there, and for a lot cheapier! Then if I want to buy something to wear or for my house, I just go to Target. It is kind of a drive, but I would rather drive the 20-30 minutes to get a better quality item. And friendlier service! Not to mention, I like the cleanliness of Target.

Another thing, Target has their snack bar. It is nice to go there and get something to munch on while you are shopping. Or to stop into the Starbucks in the store. What does Wal-Mart have? McDonald's. Sorry not one of my top choices. I used to like their little snack bars. Even the Blimpie Shops. But not McDonald's. As to Target, I find myself going there sometimes just to eat a hotdog or to buy some popcorn.

I think Wal-Mart has lost the way. I noticed the other day, the store was not busy. I had to stop in real quick to pick up some potting soil. There were still lines, because Wal-Mart cannot be bothered to open more than 2 registers at a time! But the lines weren't long. I actually got a front parking space too! And it was on a Friday evening. I think Wal-Mart execs don't realize who does the shopping for a family.

Yes, the man probably goes in to buy electronics from time to time. But honestly, a person can only use so many TVs or cellphones. But the woman is the one shopping for groceries. I for one, would go in to buy milk, and would walk out with $50 worth of fabric that I didn't need. But I saw it, and bought it. I just think it is sad for those people who live in small communities. Now they are left with no fabric stores. Maybe we can all petition for Target to open up Fabric and Craft departments. The Super Targets are big enough. And there is a demand for these things. If only people would only listen!

I think it is crazy that Wal-Mart sells sewing machines, but no fabric, thread, or patterns. Why are people going to buy your machines if you have nothing else? In case the Wal-Mart execs haven't noticed, crafts are on the rise during the recession. I see so many people crocheting, sewing, etc. now! Perhaps I am one of the few that pay attention to the things around me. But a trip to Wal-Mart is no longer worth the hassle and headache without the fabric and notions! ~Kate the Great

No comments: